Cornel Popa combines top technical skills with commercial acumen to deal with complex and diverse matters. His multi-disciplinary approach covers large domestic and international joint-ventures, mergers, acquisitions and privatization projects, as well as dispute resolution.
Cornel Popa has represented buyers and sellers from a broad range of industries and various Romanian governmental authorities in relation to multi-faceted, sophisticated matters.
He is acknowledged as one of the most experienced dispute resolution lawyers in Romania, having dealt with civil litigation, mediation, domestic and international arbitration and participated in many hearings before ICSID, ICC and the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
Furthermore, Cornel Popa was part of the team representing the Romanian Government in international arbitration files brought against Romania to the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes - ICSID.
He is a member of the Court of International Commercial Arbitration (attached to Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Romania) and of the ICC Institute of World Business Law.
Other significant area of practice includes competition law.
He is fluent in English and French.
- Successful assistance and representation to a Governmental authority in a complex international arbitration initiated by EDF Services LTD before the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
- Coordinator of the legal team retained by a leading Czech-based pharmaceutical group on a USD 200,000,000 transaction for the acquisition of the largest Romanian drugs producer.
- Coordinator of the legal team retained by the number one integrated oil and gas group in CE in connection with a USD 100,000,000 sale-purchase transaction of several maritime drilling platforms.
- Coordinator of the legal team retained by a large Scandinavian food producer regarding the acquisition of Royal Brinkers, resulting the leading producer of margarine in Romania.
- Coordinator of the legal team retained by a leading Romanian energy company in a complex international arbitration related to the modernisation of one of the largest European hydro-power stations.